Sunday, November 20, 2011

Cat's 2011 Wrap Up


This has been a great Horrorthon! I can hardly believe it’s over already, the month just flew by. We saw some really great reviews and some even better finding of hidden gems. JPX really dug deep this year and uprooted some good ones. Another big welcome to Crystal Math whose unique perspective and writing talents were a refreshing addition to the blog, and Abduscias who hit the bloody floor running and kicked some serious ass this year, including mine!

As for me, I finally came up with a system that works, don’t laugh, I made an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of my films, reviews and posts. I wrote my reviews as I went along and saved them in Word so as to stick with the 2 a day posting restriction. The results; all my reviews are done! I find it so much easier to write a review right after I watch a film, everything is fresh in my mind and it’s such a great feeling to know I can put that film to bed before moving on to the next.

Abby and I were both fortunate enough to have nothing but oodles of time on our hands this October, so we not only pounded the horror films, but fully enjoyed the season with trips to Rock n Shock, Salem, Pumpkin Spectacular, lots of graveyarding and finishing up with a great night of scaring trick or treaters. So without further ado, I give you my best and worst films of the year.

All-Around Favorite Movie: Santa Sangre

Best Hidden Gem Movie: The Poughkeepsie Tapes

Worst Movie: Blown

Best So Bad It's Good Movie: Legion: The Final Exorcism

Most Disturbing Movie: Serbian Film/Salo both are equally disturbing for different reasons.

Goriest Movie: Serbian Film

Scariest Movie: [REC]2

Best Looking Monster: The Golem from It!

Hottest Hottie: Coffin Joe of course! He has my heart:)

Most Memorable Death: Every single one of them in Serbian Film.

Most Avoidable Death: Anyone who was killed by El Charro, he was so friggin’ sloooooooow.

7 comments:

JPX said...

Congratulations for not only watching 92 movies but for getting your superlatives up before anyone else! I’m astounded that you were able to watch and write up so many films in 31 days. How is it that you and Abd didn’t work in October? Jerks. You not only sifted through a lot of horrible movies, you also unearthed some terrific finds. I will definitely check out some of your better finds next year including REC 2, The Collector, and of course, The Poughkeepsie Tapes. I love that golem from “It” and I would kill for an action figure of him. Another stellar year for you, nice work and excellent wrap-up!

Crystal Math said...

I did the math of how many movies one could conceivably view in October for H-Thon. It will be included in my wrap-up ;-)

I also used a Word document to save all of my reviews; it really came in handy when I was at work administering a math test!

Octopunk said...

Way to go, Cat! I kind of wish that zombie pumpkin thing at the top was from one of the movies you watched.

Congrats on the numbers, big claps for taking on all the depravity without flinching, and I had fun reading your reviews. And I don't mean just because there were asses. Congrats on the asses!

The little experience I've had with Googledocs (never actually made one) makes me wonder if we shouldn't have a giant one to cover all of our posted reviews. Then you could see them by rating, reviewer, etc. Or... I think you could. Okay, I'm near ignorant. The Lego User Group (LUG) I'm in often uses them.

I wandered off there. Awesome wrap-up! The monster from It! is a total winner.

JPX said...

HAHA, Octo, your comment reminds me of Homer's drunken love letter to Marge

Johnny Sweatpants said...

They got these big chewy pretzels here. $10? Get outta here?

Nice roundup Catfreeek! I'm so pissed - I literally had Santa Sangre in my home and it was my very next movie to watch but I ran out of time and sent it back. Next year!

I am however, planning on watching the Coffin Joe movies this month. They look sublime.

Abduscias said...

Nice wrapup! I love the quotes in A Serbian Film and Salo! Hahahaha!

Catfreeek said...

Thanks everyone, I felt awful about not finishing my reviews last year so I really wanted to be on the ball this year round.

JSP, you are gonna love Coffin Joe;)

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...