Saturday, November 12, 2011

The Ruins

(2008) ****


Personal Note: In an effort to give myself incentive to catch up in grading, I am posting a Horrorthon review after finishing grades for each academic class. One class done, one review posted. . . And you totally needed to know.
2008 was a great year. . . for dying in horror movies.
Four American college kids are on vacation in Mexico when they team up with a couple of Germans and embark on a journey off-the-grid to an old Mayan pyramid tucked away in the forest. The site is shown nowhere on a map but the aspect of adventure in the lush jungle lures them towards dangers unforeseen.
Mayan pyramids, similar to those in Egypt, were used to honor those in places of power who had died; however, they were not exclusive to commemorating the deceased. Many Mesoamerican pyramids were temples and places of worship, oftentimes dedicated to one of their many nature-based deities. The Ruins uses this general knowledge but never elaborates the purpose for the specific temple the tourists are visiting, which only deepens our curiosity about what the pyramid represents and why it is there in the first place. My vote goes to aliens.
 
Although I don't care too much for the ignorant-American-tourist stereotype (and didn't really care about these characters), I was drawn to the supernatural storyline that The Ruins tends toward. The temple they “discover” and ascend has more of a story than they expect as they struggle to survive on minimal food and water while the native population prevent them from returning to the “developed” world to which they've been accustomed.

They also have to figure out what happened to all the other hikers whose camps were left vacant.
"You can't get Saved! now, Jena Malone! Bwahaha!"
Overall, The Ruins provides a solid storyline despite its whiny American tourists, which keeps me watching it again and again. Through their efforts to continue living despite a very bleak situation, I love a movie that forces its characters to step out of their comfort zone and step into a “fight or flight” mode. This is why I rated it so high: for all the superficial bullcrap that each of these characters exhibits, underneath lies four distinctly different personalities and survival modes, and as a viewer you can really begin to identify with at least one of them. From there you can begin to see them play off of their insecurities and fears.
When I first read the premise of The Ruins before watching it for the first time last year, my initial thought was, “Excellent! A horror movie set in my ancestor's country!” (Well, at least half of my ancestors.) But the excitement stopped there because the role of the indigenous population is minimal and hostile, at best (and, at worst, completely absent from the story). I enjoyed The Ruins a lot but I'd like to explore more horror movies set in Latin American countries that represent the population in more than one light. (Veteran Horrorthoners, this is your chance to throw some recommendations at me for next year!)

Another element that made The Ruins awesome in my book was that it was based off of a novel by the same name, written by Scott Smith. (Haven't read it yet, though . . .) 
 

5 comments:

Catfreeek said...

Nice review, although I myself would have rated it slightly lower, I really hated that one chick, everything was her fault.

AC said...

loved the book, still haven't seen this.

Octopunk said...

I liked this movie a lot, plus I really like Jena Malone from Saved! (and Sucker Punch! Woo!)

I want to make a point but it's spoily, like one-third-into-the-plot spoily. I'd recommend not peeking if you haven't seen it.

SPOILER DOWN THERE, SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

When they throw that clump of plant and it hits that kid and then the guy shoots the kid, that should've been the key to their plan. If they climbed down to the base of the pyramid and all started throwing clumps of plants at all the dudes trying to contain them, they might've escaped in the resulting chaos. They also probably would've been shot, but it while it was a cool moment in the movie, it was a wasted plot point. The escape at the end is pretty cool.

SPOILER UP THERE, SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

I'm trying to think of Latin American horror movies but I'm only coming up with Spanish ones (and they're probably all related to Guillermo del Toro). I haven't seen Turistas but I doubt it meets the criteria you're seeking. But have you seen Lone Star?

Johnny Sweatpants said...

AC recommended the book a couple of years ago and I loved it. The characters may be annoying but they're also very realistic. I've known people exactly like that *shudder*.

Scott Smith also wrote A Simple Plan, another great movie.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I thought the same thing, Octo and I'm not just saying that!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...