Friday, November 11, 2011

The Others


(2001) ****

I really enjoyed this movie, though it seemed predictable at some points. The atmosphere is spooky and the movie was well made, in my opinion. I just love the opening credits..so artistic and fun. I am a big Nicole Kidman fan(Practical Magic, Bewitched), so I enjoyed it even more!
She plays a mother of two children, Nicolas and Anne, who are at their mansion waiting for their return of their father from the end of the Second World War. The children are photosensitive, which means if they are exposed to the light, it will burn them. Grace(Nicole Kidman) puts out an ad for housekeeping and three servants come to the door. She shows them the rules of the house, going from room to room and closing the curtains to block out the sun and locking the doors. She finds out the ad for the housekeeping was never actually sent out and finds out that the servants are previous servants at that mansion. Weird things start happening around the house..the children hear voices of a ghost boy and stomping throughout the house. Grace doesn't believe them until she starts hearing them too.The happy family awaiting their father/husband.The servants..groundskeeper, housekeeper, and cook."I am your daughter"..the most famous part of the movie.

2 comments:

DKC said...

I caught this on TV pre-Horrorthon after seeing it the theater when it was released, and was happy that it stood up for me. Even though I knew the twist, I still really enjoyed it a second time.

Octopunk said...

Love this flick! I saw this by myself in a theater in the boondocks of northern CA, and I was totally spooked driving home.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...