Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Willard

(2003)
22/7 ~ 3.14 stars
The title character lives with his mum in a large and beautiful but old mansion. He spends his days at a job he doesn't really care about and comes straight home to his Mum . . . who he doesn't really care about? Well, he kinda does, but ya see – she's a bit of a needy bitch, not entirely unlike Martin's mom in The Human Centipede 2, but still needy and holding in bitterness about her husband's death. I feel sorry for women like that.


cute chick @ work
Aside from the hot chick at work, nobody really stands up for Willard to his overbearing boss and his sense of loneliness drives him to the only available route for companionship: the rats that have occupied his basement. He ends up training them and they, for the most part, will fulfill any duty he desires.
At least they don't chirp and dance like damn Disney forest creatures!
The thing I found awkward about watching this was the fact that I have, and most likely always will, loathe rodents. I just can't stand their little humanish hands walking on me balancing their bulbous furry bodies. Clearly, there is nothing behind their eyes but pure malicious evil!!
Nevertheless Willard succeeds in yanking you over to their side – I cheered for the rats, wept for their losses, and cooed everytime they wiggled their funny ticklish whiskers at Crispin Glover (who, as JSP noted in '06, is superb). 

I start to feel all warm and fuzzy inside just thinking about those lovable creatures crawling and shitting all over the place. 
XD

7 comments:

JPX said...

"I have, and most likely always will, loathe rodents. I just can't stand their little humanish hands walking on me balancing their bulbous furry bodies."

Word.

I enjoyed this as well. Crispin Glover is an odd guy (starting with the name "Crispin") and a wonderful actor. I was going to write that he rarely works but a peek at IMDB suggests that he works a lot. I always enjoy him when I do catch him in something - the guy never seems to age! Nice review.

Catfreeek said...

Love Crispin Glover! Willard is a great remake, I generally scoff at remakes but when they are well done like this one, I can appreciate the effort.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I have no doubt that nasty rodents will one day enslave us all.

I've never seen the original Catfreeek or even knew of its existence before your comment. Any good?

Catfreeek said...

It's not bad but I do so love Crispin Glover. Willard & Ben (more famous for the Michael Jackson title song) are the two original rat movies, we are actually introduced to Ben in Willard.

Octopunk said...

I haven't seen either of the old rat movies or the new rat movie. I saw a little bit of Ben one time and was instantly smitten with the 10-years-before-Family Ties mom from Family Ties.

Your assessment of why rodents are horrible is perfect, but I am far more horrified by bugs.

Octopunk said...

Wow, this got exactly pi stars! Way to go, rats!

Crystal Math said...

Thanks for noticing my rating, Octo! I had some difficulty making the pi symbol so I just used the approximation determined by the ancient Egyptians!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...