Sunday, November 27, 2011

A Serbian Film

(2010) ****1/2

Procrastination has forced me to sell short the best piece of filmmaking I've come across in this year's contest. It's the last day to submit reviews and I don't have the time to churn out a polished review of A Serbian Film. I do want to put out a real review of this at some point, because I think it's worthy of review and discussion. It's not a film for the meek, and images of the film continue to plague me a month after I watched it. But it's a powerful movie, and unlike Cannibal Holocaust and either of the Human Centipede movies, it's rich in subtext. The subtext of A Serbian Film is as potent as any of the more appalling moments of the movie. There's more than just tawdriness going on here. I respected that, and I plan on writing more about why when I do a more thorough review later.

But for now, I just wanted to make sure I clocked the review before the buzzer. Anyone who sits through an entire screening of this deserves at least that much. Anyone here who has seen it would agree.

4 comments:

The Mr. said...

I admit a very well made film, but the most disturbing movie ever...so far

Catfreeek said...

I totally agree and I've sat through it twice.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Glad you clocked in with this at the last minute 50 and I do hope you elaborate further down the road.

Octopunk said...

Yeah, this one is so clearly a must-see.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...