Sunday, November 27, 2011

The Wickerman

(1974) ****

British Sargeant Neil Howie is called to the remote Summerisle to search for a local missing girl, Rowan Morrison. The longer Howie spends at the island, the more he realizes that its inhabitants are not at all like the usual gang of aloof country-folk he's used to. They're also not Christian (which I guess was a big deal in '74).
You wouldn't see THIS at your typical Sunday congregation.
I watched this movie for the first time last year (or was it two years ago?), and, had that been the same introduction given to me by JSP before we watched it, I would have shrugged my shoulders indifferently and muttered some words of support to give it a shot. Instead, he skirted around the plot entirely and outlined how it changed his life, emphasizing Christopher Lee's role (as Lord Summerisle – elusive and mysterious, and I kinda wish he had more scenes), then pointing repeatedly to his movie poster (which is framed and adorned with sacrificed tiny forest animals), and ended with ripping off his shirt Hulk-style to show off his chest-piece Wickerman tattoo. I'm kidding! . . . just about the dead forest-animal part. And about the chest-piece tattoo.
"I find nothing funny."
But – in all fairness, my enthusiasm in describing other cult movies comes across as unintelligible hoots and emphatic squeaks to whomever will listen. After JSP's enthusiasm was transferred to me, I got more excited when I noticed Wickerman was written by Anthony Schaffer – also the author of one of my favorite plays, Sleuth (he'd later write it for the screen for Lawrence Olivier and Michael Caine).

This movie has really grown on me over time – primarily because I always watch the super-extended-with-bonus-music-numbers version, and secondly because it's so damn fun to focus on something different with each viewing. Let's count how many naked bodies there are! Let's learn the lyrics to the song in the bar! Let's study the costumes in the culminating scene! Why is it a WickerMAN and not a WickerWOMAN if Pagan religion(s) are matriarchal? Let's discuss!
Willow serenading Sgt. Howie. Pretty hot/artistic scene.
Either way you cut it, The Wickerpersyn (yes, I renamed it for gender neutrality!) offers something new every time you see it. Maybe one of these days I'll learn all the words so I, too, can celebrate May Day in a similar fashion.

4 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

"I find nothing funny" is the perfect caption for the Sgt. Howie picture!

Crystal if you still have my DVD, there are some excellent bonus features and easter eggs to explore including an epic Christopher Lee interview from 1974.

Crystal Math said...

JSP I've been bogarting your precious DVDs since the latter half of October! It's about time they returned to their rightful owner!

Catfreeek said...

Nice one Crystal, adding this film onto your very first list gives you bonus props. You've had a great year and covered some great stuff.

Octopunk said...

This movie grows on you because it has a creeping oddness to it that kind of makes you feel like you're visiting that place. I didn't know I wished there were more Christopher Lee in it until you said that.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...