Friday, November 11, 2011

The Manson Family

(2003) **1/2

We all know the story, it hasn’t changed. Charlie Manson leads a cult group called the Family. They live in Death Valley frolicking in a sea of sex, drugs and murder. Not as well acted or directed as the film Helter Skelter, but goes where it’s predecessor didn’t dare to go. This film acts out the murders in all their graphic, horrific, gory details. The stabbing scenes are so brutal that I actually wanted to look away. I really felt like this was as close a representation as possible to what those poor people went through. Their last minutes spent with a bunch of fucked up kids who had no respect for human life. It is summed up best in Susan Atkins’ own words as she referred to the murder of Sharon Tate, "I don't know how many times I stabbed and I don't know why I stabbed her," she said. "She kept begging and pleading and begging and pleading and I got sick of listening to it, so I stabbed her."

4 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

That picture is nasty and yet I have a strange yearning for a hamburger.

DKC said...

Man, JSP! That is harsh.

I recently read an interesting article about Steve McQueen and how he was basically a drug-taking, violent, philanderer - but it also noted that he was good friends with Jay Sebring and was actually invited to go with Jay to Tate's house that night but chose to go out with a girl instead - narrowly missing being murdered by the Manson family.

Catfreeek said...

Wow, I never knew that.

Octopunk said...

I didn't know that either. Unless it was in the book Helter Skelter and I forgot it, which is highly possible.

For me that saddest look at that tragedy is watching both Polanski and Tate in The Fearless Vampire Killers, which is when they met. While she was very pretty, it's awful to look at her knowing what's coming.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...