Tuesday, November 08, 2011

It!

(1967) **1/2

A museum storehouse burns down, only one statue survives the fire unharmed, a Golem. Soon after discovering the statue, museum director Grove is found lying under it, dead. His assistant Pimm finds the statue is cursed and has been virtually indestructible for over 3 centuries. Pimm discovers a scroll hidden within the statue, which allows him to control its actions. Soon he is using it to his own personal advantage, until he realizes that the Golem is turning him evil.

The second film on the disc with The Shuttered Room doesn’t pack quite as much punch. The slow lumbering statue seems almost comical as he walks stiff legged to attack his victims. At one point it burst through a brick wall like Kool-Aid, I was expecting an “Ooooh yeeeeaaah!” to come out of it. Roddy McDowell is a class act as always as Pimm, if it weren’t for him the entire film would have been a let down.

4 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

The Golem is awesome looking! Now I want to see it, if only for the Kool Aid scene.

Octopunk said...

I concur! I'm digging the golem's look (looks kinda like that guy Lo, actually) and I also have a thing for golems. Because I totally want one. I'd pin money to it and have it go food shopping.

JPX said...

I love the look of that Golem, I want an action figure, damnit! The plot of this sounds fun even if it ultimately doesn't pan out.

DKC said...

Octo, clearly you need to create some golem models for your friends!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...