Monday, November 07, 2011

The Human Centipede 2 [Full Sequence]

(2011) ****
Like the infamous “2 girls, 1 cup” internet video, this is most enjoyable when watching the reactions of others. JSP and 50P have summed this delectably depraved work of video art quite well already.
"Let's play the Alphabet game -- I see a 'c' for 'centipede'!"
I missed the Berkeley showing of this movie by a week, but luckily it was playing across the bay! I could hardly contain my excitement as I told my Algebra students my plans for the weekend. One student wept quietly while another placed his hand on my shoulder with concern and declared, “Ms. Crystal, you are one brave soul.”

And indeed, like three brave little piggys we entered the San Francisco cinema with our respective senses of dignity in tact (I'd like to think mine was made of brick). The main character Martin lives with his overbearing mother in a cramped British flat one level below a bunch of punks who listen to loud music each night. The dynamic between Martin and his mother is quite interesting because she's too upset about her husband's being in jail to focus on the lasting emotional/mental (and maybe physical?) damage that was done to her son on his account.

Martin works as a security guard in one of the creepiest parking garages I've ever seen, so it seems only fitting that he's obsessed with one of the creepiest movies ever made. It's really cute to see him keeping a scrapbook of Human Centipede newspaper clips because as an educator I encourage teens to follow their dreams and explore their hobbies on a daily basis. Martin is quite past adolescence and I certainly would not encourage him to follow his dreams.
"Aww, look what Marty drew! Now do we put it on the fridge or burn it?"
This artfully directed movie was shot in black and white, so it has the feel of an amateur video. Before going in to the theater I had to confront a very real pet peeve of mine of movies that refer to their prequels. I have a thing against breaking “the 4th wall” but wasn't about to harp on that if it meant I got to experience this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

Would I see this again? You betcha! But only if it were shown as a part of a double-feature with Human Centipede First Sequence. That's truly the only way to view it.

3 comments:

Octopunk said...

I think it's refreshing to see an educator who knows when not to encourage someone to follow their dreams. Sometimes that can lead to nothing but trouble.

I'm curious about your dislike of 4th wall breaking. Any particular examples that really honk you off?

Catfreeek said...

I'm also curious about the 4th wall.

Abduscias and I were lucky enough to watch this film. We watched in delight and disgust, Martin is perfect and Tom Six is a genius for answering the age old question, what if a potential serial killer watch a particular horror film and thought, hmmm, that's a great idea.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

The more time passes, the more I really love this damn movie. It's hard to stay mad at Martin because he's not the brightest fella in the world and he grew up in such a abusive, dysfunctional family.

The only 4th wall horror sequel I can think of is the Scream series.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...