Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Human Centipede 2 (Full Sequence)

(2011) ***1/2

Oh. My. Shit.

Seriously, the only thing this movie is missing is director Tom Six walking onscreen at the end to say, "The Aristocrats!"

The final half hour of this movie is gloriously, and unapologetically caked in filth and precious bodily fluids. I gagged while watching it — I actually wondered for a second there whether I was going to throw up, not from nausea, but just as a reflex response to what I was watching. In thirty years of moviegoing, no other movie has ever produced that reaction in me. Not even Dead Alive.

I saw it in the theater, accompanied by Johnny Sweatpants and Crystal Math, and I can't imagine how I'd have sat through an uninterrupted screening without the company. I needed reminders throughout the evening that I wasn't crazy for (1) buying a ticket for the screening in the first place (2) using the ticket to enter the theater and sit down (3) staying through the whole sitting. There were about 20 people in the theater with us and I found it reassuring that everyone was cringing violently with each new awful twist. It gave me hope that we'd all be able to resume normal life the next morning.


The Human Centipede 2 exists in meta-reality — the original film is a movie within this reality. The villain, Martin Lomax (Laurence R. Harvey in his only screen appearance — dude doesn't even have his own Wikipedia page, prompting me to wonder whether he's actually psychotic and Tom Six cast him to add realism, much the same way that FW Murnau casts a real vampire in the role of Count Orlok in Shadow of the Vampire) has an insane fixation with the original film. He fantasizes about constructing his own human centipede out of twelve victims, salaciously licking his chubby fingers at the very thought.

It's hard to say whether he "acts" on this fantasy because the film concludes with a "was it all a dream?" ending, which ultimately feels pointless and unsatisfying. Are we supposed to be comforted by the notion that it didn't actually "happen"? Big deal: we still had to sit there and watch it "happen". Damage done. If it's meant as an artistic stroke, to leave the audience guessing on the way out of the theater, I still ask what's the point? We're already leaving the theater with...other feelings, not the least of which is dread at the thought that someone is eventually going to come along and out-do this movie.

The film is light on dialogue, and what dialogue there is is every bit as crushing as the carnage. At the dinner table, Martin's mom declares, "I've decided to kill us both." She's miserable because her husband is in jail for sexually abusing Martin, and mom makes no secret about which of the two she'd prefer to have around. Martin's soft brain is fertile ground for degenerate behaviour, and every line uttered in the Lomax household is dark seed for Martin's wrong desires.

Even in its most quiet moments, The Human Centipede 2 is squirm-inducing. In its least quiet moments, the movie is a symphony of horribleness. You'll spot seconds in advance the exact way Tom Six is about to make you lose your dinner, but it won't stop you from losing your dinner when you see it. This will happen over and over again, more and more rapidly during the finale. It's not funny like Dead Alive but if you see it with a large enough group of people (as in a theater) the synchronized gross-out is communal enough that it makes watching the movie a sort of special and fun experience. I can't imagine anyone would want to watch it solo for any other reason than to prove a point.

14 comments:

Abduscias said...

I'm intrigued....:)

Catfreeek said...

Yeah, I think Abby and I might have to have a go at it.

JPX said...

You sonofabitch, scoop of the season! I've been following the buzz on this all year. I thought the first one was a terrific mad scientist movie, this one looks like they up the ante. Nice review - can't wait to see this!

AC said...

great scoop 50p! i'm so never gonna see this. i'll risk being scared but not being grossed out to that extent.

DKC said...

I'm with you, AC! I have less then no desire to see this. Excellent scoop - can't wait to hear the others' reviews.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

AC & DCD - it's time to confront your fears and give this warm coming of age tale the attention it deserves!

JPX, Abduscias & Cat - you're gonna freakin' love this!

DKC said...

I gave into that challenge with Antichrist, JSP - but it is SO not happening this time!

AC said...

not a chance, johnny sweatpants!

Kit said...

I am impressed that you attended the screening, and also impressed that there were 20 others there. After seeing the trailer for the first Human Centipede made me want to toss my cookies, I vowed never to subject myself to the franchise. You are brave, and I do hope you can resume a normal life.

Mr. AC said...

Huge Horrorthon props to you for sitting through this! The closest I'll ever come to seeing this movie is watching the Tosh.0 review.

DKC said...

That review was EXACTLY what I wanted, Mr. AC!! It's like the time I asked Octo to tell me all the Saw deaths because I didn't (and don't) want to watch them - but I still want to know what happens. Perfect!

Crystal Math said...

This is a lot more focused and refined than our initial "Aaaahh! Ewww! Blegh!" musings immediately following the film. Great review, and congrats to being the first to publish it ;-)

Octopunk said...

Clap. Clap. Clap. Nice work, the three of you (but mostly you, 50, because you wrote the review I'm commenting on).

I'm a little let down by any "but did it really happen?" ending, but 'I've decided to kill us both' is pretty damn good.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I thought the Wizard of Oz ending was a bit lame but it didn't alter my opinion of the movie. The damage had been done. 50 P said something like "are we supposed to pretend that the last 90 minutes of our lives didn't happen?"

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...