Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Paranormal Activity 2

***1/2

Already reviewed a few times, I'll be brief on the synopsis:

New parents, big house, creepy stuff happens, it's all on the dvr.

A few reasons why I liked this film:
- As a "found footage" film, this one breaks the mold of the traditional shaky camera, with stuff constantly happening. The plot device of needing security cameras makes it so that we can view almost the whole film with a steady frame. That doesn't exactly explain the audio, but whatever... suspension of disbelief, right?

- The continuing storyline. The temptation would be so great here to just re-film PA1 with better actors and a bigger budget. This has been done before with Blair Witch, Quarantine, and I suspect may be done with Cloverfield. But here, they keep two of the original actors, make the new ones related, and thus keep the same entity from the first film, while continuing the storyline.

- This film takes place both before and after the first film. It's not completely a prequel or sequel, it's like a wraparound film that provides background and conclusion - a very cool way to flesh out the story.

I just watched this so I could prepare for PA3 (review coming tomorrow), but was surprised at how much better I liked it from when I saw it last year. Good times.

6 comments:

JPX said...

I just re-watched this in preparation for watching PA3 and I agree with your comments. It’s true that it’s a slow burn, with the only reaction action taking place in the final reel of the film, but it’s highly effective. The cast on unknowns do an excellent job and you will be convinced that you are really watching the daily machinations of an average family. As you note this is both a prequel and sequel; it not only ends where the first movie begins but it also ends in a manner that sets us up for PA3, which is a prequel. I know people either love or hate these movies but I really dig them. If you’re looking for constant jump-out scares this series is not for you. I like the subtly of them and they are effective in giving me goosebumps.

DKC said...

I also really love these movies. Desrroc and I are dying to see PA3, so if reviews go up before we see it I probably won't read them. Nice review Trevor!

Catfreeek said...

I liked this one much better than the first. I'm hopeful for PA3 but will let you and JPX tell me if it's worth my time before diving in.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I'm a hater of these movies but PA3 is getting a good buzz. I can't wait to see who out of Trevor or JPX will post the first review!

Octopunk said...

Man, I may just have to watch these outside the scope of Horrorthon. Everybody seems to be at this party but me, I don't know if I can wait 11 months.

50PageMcGee said...

the prequel/sequel thing reminds me of Wizard and Glass -- the last Dark Tower book i actually read. book three ended on a massive cliffhanger and that fourth book managed to give a complete backstory of Roland, while completely resolving the cliffhanger from the previous book. very satisfying read.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...