Saturday, October 29, 2011

Torment

(2008) **





It wouldn't surprise me if this highly flawed, low budget clown yarn was filmed on an iPhone. However there are a few solid creepout moments to make up for the overall amateur quality of the endeavor. 
After Laura is released from a mental institution, she and her husband Roy head to a remote cabin (which is actually just a house) to celebrate and unwind. During the drive she swears she sees a body writhing inside a garbage bag on the side of the road. Roy screeches to a halt but when she opens the bag she finds that she must have been hallucinating. I suppose the “crazy” never really goes away.
Once they are settled in at the cabin Laura looks outside her window and sees a clown standing ominously. Roy, the condescending prick that he is, dismisses her claim as another figment of her imagination and makes her feel more pathetic than she already does. 
Only “Dissecto the Clown” is no hallucination. He is in fact a very real maniacal neighbor who turned his basement into one deadly torture chamber. He teases his victims with madcap antics before the kill. One unfortunate Mormon awakes to find the prankster pointing a camera directly at him. It's merely a gag camera that squirts water on his face but before he has a chance to breathe a sigh of relief his tongue is ripped out of his mouth. How pleasing it was to see a rare example of an evil clown playing the role of a clown! 
Dissecto disposes of Roy early on (with a dining room chair of all things) but Roy never sees his attacker and dies without ever knowing that Laura was right all along. I was hoping to see Roy's "holy shit" expression followed by the scream "I should never have doubted youuuuuu.. ack!" This is a minor detail but it peeves me nonetheless. 
There are some inspired Ummmugumma-like sound effects and an attention to cockroaches that kept me on my toes but I ultimately have to dismiss Torment as yet another in a growing list of unremarkable killer clown movies. 

4 comments:

Catfreeek said...

No wonder the poor guy snapped, how was he supposed to get any clowny work with a name like Dissecto?

JPX said...

"I was hoping to see Roy's "holy shit" expression followed by the scream "I should never have doubted youuuuuu.. ack!" This is a minor detail but it peeves me nonetheless."

I agree! I revel in the satisfaction of the "I told you so". I've made many predictions with my patients that have come true (e.g., Elaine, you have only known him for a month, he just got out of jail for hitting a guy with a tire iron, he makes you walk in back of him, he has exhibited a scary level of jealousy, and you have already been married 6 times before, do you really think this marriage stands a chance?).

Another bummer of a clown movie. I hope you choose a more rewarding theme for yourself next year! Perhaps we should all write a more effective clown movie?

Johnny Sweatpants said...

LOL JPX. Now I want to make a list of classic "I told you so" horror movie moments.

Octopunk said...

I love the "I told you so" moment! I share your peevishness that Roy never knew his folly. Congrats once again for tackling evil clown movies, you poor bastard.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...