Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Omen


(1976) ***1/2

I love this series! Little Damien is such a cute, creepy kid. Gregory Peck, who plays his father is a great actor, very convincing. His relationship with his wife seems very real and loving, and his dark fuzzy eyebrows are very serious!
I like this poster better!
So, pretty much it's about a baby Antichrist that moves his way up through the first few years of his life by from being adopted secretly to the American Ambassador to Great Britain. Everyone who finds out about him dies one way or another, and his closest protectors are his evil nanny and rottweilers. His "mother" becomes pregnant and he finds a way, with help from evil nanny to make her fearful of him and have a miscarriage. The weird thing about this movie is a magical camera from a press photographer that takes pictures with predetermining causes of death..?
Lee Remick plays a great mom. This is the original nanny that takes her life at Damien's birthday once she met eyes with a rottweiler.This is "mommy" being knocked over a railing to make sure she has a miscarriage. She's not really flying.This is the magical camera!The new evil nanny, fresh from Satan's Nanny Academy, takes over.
The priest that tries to warn daddy gets impaled..
There are 6 shots of this decapitation! I think its the best killing in the movie..heads will roll!

I realized as I watched this, how much I enjoy the dialogue in older movies..there is a few seconds of time so the other character can respond in real time. Movies and shows today seem to overlap their dialogues! :(

6 comments:

Catfreeek said...

I'm an Omen fan as well, at least the first two, the third wasn't as good.

Jordan said...

I hated The Omen! Here's my review from two years ago.

I realize I'm in the minority. Oh well.

50PageMcGee said...

great poster of muscle satan. i looked up "přichází satan!" -- it means, "satan is coming!" in czech.

funny thing about exclamation points, they just make everything sound exciting. when i read the translation, i'd wished that it'd followed with, "far out, man!"

Abduscias said...

I read your review, Jordan. To each his own :)

Jordan said...

Abduscias, of course! :)

Octopunk said...

It's weird, I liked this flick when I reviewed it but then a year later I read Jordan's review and couldn't find a point of disagreement. It's still the premiere SATAN movie for me.

I love the Czech poster!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...