Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Sadist

(1963) ***

Loosely based on serial killer Charles Starkweather, Arch Hall Jr (Eegah!, The Wild Guitar), plays Charlie Tibbs, a psychotic asshole. Charlie and his girlfriend take three hostages at gunpoint when their car breaks down. Charlie berates and teases his hostages, waving a gun in their faces and scaring everyone with his erratic behavior. This is a slow builder, the tension continues to grow throughout the film. You just know at some point this crazy bastard is going to blow.

I'm angry

Look into my unibrow...your getting sleeepy...veeery sleeeeepy

The acting is great in spite of the kitschy early 60’s slang dialog. I was totally drawn in and not just by Charlie’s unibrow! Not recommended for late night viewing due to the slow pace, it could weigh those heavy eyelids right down. I watched this first thing in the morning and thought it was quite good.

5 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I'm glad you reviewed this Catfreeek. This is one of my favorite 60's horror flicks. Excellent pictures as well! I haven't seen this in years but I remember being taken with Arch Hall Jr's killer performance. "You think you're better than me..."

JPX said...

This movie is great! I've been meaning to revisit it for years. It's surprisingly violent for the 60s and it's aptly named. Thanks for reminding me about it.

Octopunk said...

Man, Arch Hall Jr. was a moist fella. I'm more stunned by his nose than that unibrow. Especially in that closeup.

DKC said...

Those pictures add a touch of hilarity to what sounds like a movie that is not funny. Cool find!

50PageMcGee said...

he's like squishface river phoenix.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...