Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A Haunting in Salem

(2011) **

I went into this with low expectations and I wasn’t disappointed. A newly appointed sheriff and his family move into a notorious house in Salem. Almost immediately bad things start happening. As in, the gardner being found hanging from a tree on their first day in the house. The teenage daughter starts getting sick which gets progressively worse as the days pass. Dad keeps seeing ghosts and scary shit, Mom thinks he’s losing his squash. The son just plays video games and acts sarcastic. Things get worse, more people die.

Totally predictable, filled with cheap scares and used up effects. The storyline is all too familiar and the actor’s performances are forgettable. The house however is gorgeous, I would move in there in a heartbeat!

6 comments:

DKC said...

That house is awesome! Too bad the movie is not.

FYI - I've caught up on commenting now, sorry to have been absent for a few days. Long crazy weekend. But working the PM shift tonight so I might be able to get two movies in!!

Trevor said...

Is this supposed to be a sequel to "A Haunting in Connecticut"? I heard they were going to do some sequels, and I assumed this was one. It sounds like the same plot, just with less thought and effort.

JPX said...

Wow, that sounds very generic. I watched a "haunted house" film last night that kind of stunk. I think it's a difficult sub-genre to get right.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I kinda miss Salem in October despite the tourist trappiness. Anyone been this year?

Catfreeek said...

Abby & I are going this week, yay!

Octopunk said...

Man, ghosts may be a hassle but they do have excellent taste in real estate. Remember that Brooklyn Heights apartment in The Sentinel? I'd live over a gate to Hell for that place!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...