Tuesday, October 04, 2011

[REC]2

(2009) ****

After reading many not so favorable reviews of Quarantine 2, I was so happy to discover that unlike the American version, [REC]2 picked up exactly where the first film left off. A crew of military types, are sent in to the quarantined apartment building to rally for survivors. The man leading the brigade is Dr. Owen, a priest who explains that the infection is not quite what it seems. Somehow they have isolated a chemical in a demonically possessed girl, and turned it into an infectious virus. The dude that lived in the penthouse of the apartment complex was the scientist. He was told to stop the experiment, but continued anyway. His meddling resulted in the catastrophe from the first film. Now Dr. Owen and his group of men must find the girl & harvest her blood so they can create a cure.

Holy crap, this film is so much more action packed then the first. No long lead ins, just straight to the action. The building is riddled with infected people, you never know when one will start running at the camera. I don’t want to give away too much, but the payoff is scary as hell. Best new film I’ve seen so far. Imdb shows 2 more [REC] films in the works, I can't wait!

10 comments:

JPX said...

This sounds terrific! Was it shot on video? I sometimes have a difficult time watching movies that have the soap opera look, I can't get into them as much.

Catfreeek said...

It's alot of handheld stuff like the first and the military guys have helmet cams but it totally works for this. Tony usually hates that stuff and he loved this. The creepy thing we get a glimpse of at the end of the first film is way more in your face in this one and it's friggin' scary.

AC said...

sounds great, cat! and the lack of asses and nazis is a total plus. :)

Catfreeek said...

Oh, didn't I mention the bare assed nazis running about the place.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I believe you when you say it's great but I just can't bring myself to watch these for some reason.

Catfreeek said...

Your missing this by not watching it.

Trevor said...

Rec 2 is awesome. When I saw Quarantine 2 went straight to dvd, I was hoping that it would basically be a re-make of Rec 2. But no. It's strange, while Rec and Quarantine are basically the same movie in different languages, the sequels went in totally opposite directions. Rec 2 is the winner though.

Octopunk said...

Yeah! I just looked up Quarantine 2 and I couldn't believe it. While I'm not sure how I feel about the supernatural take you describe, Cat, at least they had the guts to stick with their story.

I have a similar problem watching this sort of flick, JSP, but Quarantine was totally worth it.

DKC said...

I watched Quarantine, but not the original Rec - I think I have both that and Rec2 in my queue...So many movies - so little time!

50PageMcGee said...

when freeek posted her hyperlinked reply to JSP, i was expecting it to be hot naked chicks. i mean, it sounded alluring before i clicked the link.

then click -- "ewww! johnny winter with tits!"

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...