Monday, October 03, 2011

Suspiria

(1977) ****

I really enjoyed this movie! The first thing that grabbed me was the decor! Now I know I was born in the wrong decade! I mean look at this...
You don't need to drop acid to enjoy this one. I'm sure many of you horror fanatics have seen this and I was so excited to finally see it! So, I'm sitting there watching this thinking, wow, this probably wouldn't be so creepy without the sound...my grandma taught me that one! But the whispering, screaming, crying, noise banging was a necessity! Oh, don't try to read their lips, it doesn't match..
So Suzy, played by Jessica Harper goes to ballet school in Italy. Weird things start happening the second she arrives. Her classmates are mostly nice, except for a few stingy bitches. She ends up with a roommate Sara, who for some reason is obsessed in finding out where the teachers go at the end of the day. Of course, you know what happens to the curious kitty..
She ends up getting caught in the giant slinky!

Of course with Sara missing, Suzy decides to go investigate.
So, I definitely recommend this movie to anyone who hasn't seen it. You may realize where alot of the later horror movie directors get their ideas from :)!!

8 comments:

Catfreeek said...

Nice review, I knew you'd love this one.

Landshark said...

I've been meaning to see this for a while. Plan to this thon. Nice review.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I watched this movie last year with a group of 10 or so artsy fartsies who had never seen it before and it went over very well. It's far from a perfect film but it has a very unique sense of style, a strict attention to color and the death scenes are beautifully constructed. I vividly remember seeing the piano wire scene for the first time. At first the girl falls into the room and I didn't think it was a big deal but then I felt her pain in my gut. The more you struggle the more mutilated you get.

Abduscias said...

Hahahahaha

artsy fartsies!

Octopunk said...

This movie has notable style but yeah, that room full of razor wire is an idea that sticks with you. I imagine it must take a long, terrifying time to kill you.

50PageMcGee said...

i'd compare the sound of suspiria to that of ravenous. both festive soundtracks, seemingly incongruous with the happenings onscreen. but it's frickin cool music, so who cares.

ps - the theme to this movie is what plays as my ringtone whenever JSP calls me.

Abduscias said...

Oh,I LOVED Ravenous!!

DKC said...

That piano wire death stayed with me for days. *Shudder*

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...