Monday, October 05, 2009

Martyrs


(2008) *****

I spent a good portion of my morning thinking about how I was going to write a review of this film. I ran over several ways of giving a synopsis but there really is no way of giving a decent synopsis without giving up too much information. In the end I thought the best way to explain it is to tell you how the film made me feel with a few pictures to pique your curiosity further.



Martyrs was recommended to me by a friend who would say nothing more to me about it other than, “You have to see this movie.” So on that note I went into it with an open mind and only my own bleak assumptions relating to the title. I got way more than I bargained for. The film held me captivated from beginning to end and when it was over I felt like I'd been punched. I planned on doing a few things around the house then plunking in another movie, but I just couldn't watch anything else last night because this film weighed heavy on my mind.


I spent some time thinking about humanity and what our responsibilities are as human beings. What strange creatures we are, compassionate in one hand yet capable of such brutal acts with the other. I thought about beliefs and how some people will go to such extremes to prove they are right. I mean really, does it all matter? It's just so much more important to enjoy life as it is and forget all the other crap. Why don't people get that? You do your best to be a good person,treat other people decent and hopefully they'll do the same in return. It really is that simple. So why do so many people want more? Then Tony and I discussed it for awhile and finally I said to him, “Wow! Who would have thought that one horror movie could provoke this much analysis.” I like movies that make me think and this one does just that but I'm not sure if that's entirely good.




As far as the film goes, I cannot recommend it for everyone. This film is brutal and hard to watch. The violence is extreme and deliberate. The emotions are raw and very real. I would have to put it up there with “Deadgirl” as a candidate for most disturbing but without that icky voyeuristic feeling. It just leaves you feeling off. I'll tell you this much, the French sure as hell are serious about putting the horror in horror. After watching Martyrs and Inside I can tell you that I will never step into a French horror film with a light heart again. I will expect to be visually and emotionally terrorized and nothing less. For those of you who decide to watch this film I sincerely look forward to your reviews.

5 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

You've piqued my curiosity with this one! To the top of the queue!

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I don't believe you for a second when you say you were planning on doing things around the house. Based on your output thus far you have barely had time to use the bathroom!

Catfreeek said...

Hey, I'll have you know I vacuumed today!

DKC said...

Er, as with DeadGirl, I think I'll leave this one to the stronger of heart!

Octopunk said...

Cool! I'm a believer in F-horror since I saw High Tension.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...