Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Orphan


(2009)***

John and Kate are experiencing tremendous marital stress. Their third child was stillborn and Kate struggles with depression and alcoholism. Devastated by the loss of their child, the two visit an orphanage where they are captivated by Esther, a precocious, 9-year old Eastern European immigrant with a mysterious background. Esther is seemingly the perfect child, well-mannered, impeccably organized, and artistically talented. Once home Esther immediately bonds with their 6-year old daughter, Max, who is deaf and communicates in sign language. Their 12-year old son, Daniel, however, is not as taken with Esther, due to the endless teasing he endures at school because of her peculiar way of dressing (think Amish-like) and behaving.



Following a bumpy first week, cracks begin to appear in Esther’s cheery facade. She bludgeons an injured animal without hesitating and she tosses a classmate off of a jungle gym, shattering her ankle. She does all this with an icy stare (the kind I’ve only seen from my ex-wife). Like a true bad seed she is well-mannered in front of the adults; however young Daniel is on to her evil ways. Meanwhile Esther becomes daddy’s little girl at home, playing it up to near-Lolita extremes. As Kate slowly concludes that they have adopted a sociopath, John tells her that she’s imagining things. Soon after, Esther reveals some unsettling secrets and things build to a frenzied climax.



Orphan will remind you of many films including The Bad Seed, The Good Son, and even The Omen. Although the evil child thing has been played out, it’s still a fun, guilty pleasure. There’s a corker of a twist that I didn’t see coming (I rarely do) making the entire affair even more disturbing – do yourself a favor and avoid spoilers about this film, otherwise it’s pointless to watch it.

5 comments:

Trevor said...

It seems they remake this movie about every ten years - the last version being with Macauley Culkin?!? blah. I have hopes for this one with the much-hyped "surprise-ending".

Johnny Sweatpants said...

It's taking every bit of restraint in me not to seek out the surprise ending. I rationalized it by saying "I'm probably not going to watch this anyway..."

Octopunk said...

I haven't seen this but I actually know the surprise ending. I can't imagine anyone figuring it out.

I was against seeing this movie because the mom is the same doe-eyed chick we all hated in the Wicker Man remake. Except she isn't! I was totally wrong about that.

Catfreeek said...

I have this queued but the Netflix release isn't until the 27th so hopefully it makes it here before Horrorthon ends. I'm looking forward to it, I like twists.

DKC said...

I remember the ads for this one - it looked pretty good. I like twisty endings too!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...