Sunday, October 02, 2011

The Haunting (No-Do)

(2009) ***

Last year I vowed to avoid the Afterdark Horrorfest 8 Films to Die For series, I fully intend to stick to my guns. In my disappointment with them, I made a pleasant discovery, Fangoria Frightfest films are pretty damn good. The Haunting, also known as No-Do, is a Spanish film, The story follows Francesca and Pedro, who move in to an old house, a former orphanage with a notorious past. No sooner do they get settled in, than strange things begin happening. Francesca’s daughter confides to her, that 3 “dirty girls” are in the house. The “dirty girls” are little pranksters, running about the house, writing on the walls in blood and causing mayhem. Francesca discovers a room up in the attic filled with all sorts of creepy shit and a weird old woman who keeps lurking around outside the house. The old lady tells her to contact a priest to come and bless the house. Upon investigating, Francesca & the priest discover some old films, news reels regarding 3 girls who once lived in the orphanage and claimed to have contact with the Virgin Mary. The situation becomes dangerous as the mystery begins to unravel.


This film is a good old fashioned haunted house tale, with a nice plot twist. The old films are played throughout, they add to the dark overall feeling. The story is interesting, it kept me intrigued, I really wanted to piece together all those creepy news reels. If I have a complaint, it’s that the ghost girls flashed and sparked every time they appeared. The effect just looked cheap. As with all haunted house flicks, this is best watched with the lights out.

3 comments:

Octopunk said...

I love term "dirty girls" for what I assume are ghosts. That is damn creepy.

DKC said...

This sounds really good! Nice find and I'm happy to know the Frightfest films aren't bad, I think I have a couple in my queue.

50PageMcGee said...

doesn't surprise me that an orphanage would have pranksters, but writing on the wall in blood? that kind of behavior that will not help you get picked by a good foster family.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...