Monday, October 03, 2011

Insidious

(2010) ***

After moving in to a new house, a young boy becomes unresponsive, frozen in a comatose state. His family begins to experience encounters with scary, supernatural creatures. In desperation they flee the house, only to find the entities have followed. They turn to a medium and her paranormal geek squad to exorcise the problematic demons.

I liked this film, I really did. In fact I liked it enough to give it a better rating, then there was the ending. It pissed me off. The ending is a blatant attempt to franchise this film right into a sequel, or series of sequels depending on the popularity of it. Thing is, they have a good scary movie here, the demons and ghosts are effective & the story is pretty cool. There was a great scene with the nastiest of the demons, he was dancing around to Tiny Tim’s “Tiptoe through the Tulips”. Great stuff! As a whole, it’s worth watching, I’ve seen much worse. I just wish the ending had been better.

13 comments:

DKC said...

Bummer about the ending - but the rest of it sounds fun!

Catfreeek said...

Some folks might actually like the ending, I don't want to dissuade anyone cause the movie is actually pretty good. It's just my opinion.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

We caught this movie over the weekend. I really liked it and I'm sick to death of these kinds of "paranormal" movies.

50PageMcGee said...

i nominate JSP to take down "'paranormal' movies" as a subgenre.

Catfreeek said...

I second that!

DKC said...

Desroc and I are planning to watch Paranormal Activity 2 tonight. Eep!

JPX said...

I watched this the other night and thought it started out cliched but fun and then became silly once the psychic showed up. Review coming soon!

Catfreeek said...

I did get kinda silly, it's that woman (Lin Shaye), I can't take her seriously.

JPX said...

Exactly! She was in another movie I watched last night!

Octopunk said...

Nice review, Cat! I'd heard "meh" about this, so it's nice to hear it's got some game. I dig that first weird dude.

I don't have enough of this subgenre under my belt. I've got a folder in my head labeled "Horror I'll see later" and the Paranormal flicks are in there with Human Centipede and the last four Saw movies.

Catfreeek said...

JPX, the one where they are lost on an endless road?

Johnny Sweatpants said...

JPX I felt the exact opposite! I almost shut it off halfway through but then loved the second half. Review (maybe) also to come!

Trevor said...

I saw this one in the theater, and loved it so much I went back to see it a second time. I thought the ending was fine, and actually made more sense upon a second viewing.

I would totally take a star off for lack of originality - the demon was clearly just Darth Maul without a light saber.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...