Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Reflecting Skin


(1990) ****1/2

I cannot hope to be as word savvy as Octopunk in my review of this fine film. I obtained a copy of it last year shortly after Horrorthon, I had decided it was a must see after reading his review. I’ve sat on it until last night, finally basking in its glory. The images and description in his review reminded me of the movie Tideland, I feel the same after watching the film itself.


The film tells the story of a young boy living in a remote farm area. I do believe they screened all the residents of this town, the prerequisite for moving there would be measured in degrees of strangeness. The boy and his friends are rotten little shits, they torture this poor English woman by exploding a frog in her face and trashing her house. One of the boys disappears and is later found dead. The sheriff is beside himself since the town is virtually crimeless. All eyes turn toward the boy’s father for reason’s disclosed in the film, he winds up committing suicide. This doesn’t solve the problem, since another boy disappears soon after.

The cinematography is stunning, every scene a work of art. Beautifully acted, the story is intriguing. Every bit as wonderful as I anticipated. Thank you Octo for turning me on to this film.

5 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

ZAAARGGGHH! So many to watch, so little time! This sounds must-see.

JPX said...

Yeah this sounds terrific - nice summary!

DKC said...

I don't recall Octo's review from last year so this is a nice refresher. Another one that sounds excellent.

Octopunk said...

I am so, so glad somebody else saw this movie. Thanks for the shout out, Cat, but mostly thanks for inviting this sick flick into your home.

If you own a copy you should start a lending campaign to poison the souls of your fellow RI 'thonners.

Anonymous said...

This movie is a classic and a must-see, no doubt. Look for Viggo Mortensen.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...