Saturday, October 08, 2011

Road Kill


(2010) ***

I thought this was going to be one of those cat and mouse, terror on the highway type films. I was wrong. It starts off that way, then quickly takes an unexpected turn. A dual trailer semi runs a car off the highway in a most awesome accident. The two couples crawl from the wreckage, miraculously, only one of them is injured. The driver has a badly broken arm. With nothing but desert in sight, they are left no choice but to approach the now stopped semi to seek assistance. One couple trek over, only to discover the truck is driverless. Here is where it gets interesting, with frequent flashes from the Cerberus hood ornament to a vision of a live red eyed Cerberus, we now realize there’s something wicked brewing in the bowels of this truck. In desperation, the foursome board the big rig and thus begins their hell ride. Road Kill is another Fangoria Frightfest film, I expected nothing given the title and the premise of the film. What I got was a fun jaunt, with a nice plot twist and a couple of really great crash scenes. I suggest saving this one for mid to late October, when your worn down from plot heavy films and just want to watch something fun.

6 comments:

JPX said...

This sounds like a lot of fun! I love the plot. My sense is that these Fangoria films are better than other, similar, film festivals. I'm glad you're covering them, nice find!

Crystal Math said...

Didn't Stephen King write a book with a similar plot? Or am I just hallucinating?

Trevor said...

I'm ashamed to know this, but it stars the Australian actor from the Twilight movies, who actually does a convincing job in this role.

Catfreeek said...

Yes Trevor, hang your head in shame.

Octopunk said...

When I was running an office for a drilling company (my crap job during Horrorthon 2004), we had a semi truck that needed to be rolled back 20 feet. I called one of the hardhat dudes to do it, and he was all "just put it in reverse!" in a perfect college-kid-don't-know-nothing tone.

I said "Fine, I'll give it a shot, but I have a feeling it's more complicated than that." Sure enough I couldn't get the damn truck to move an inch. Only thing I could do besides start the engine was get the brakes to make a hissing sound.

"Those are air brakes," said the hardhat, "you've gotta let the pressure build up--"

"I knew it!" I cut him off. "There's this complicated shit that I don't know, and I'm not going to even fucking try. Get over here and back up the damn truck."

Point being, I would never board a semi truck thinking I could drive it. Cuz it's hard.

DKC said...

This does sound fun - not that I'm getting bogged down by plot heavy movies, or any movies for that matter - but it's good to know!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...