Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Trilogy of Terror

(1975) ***

So I know this has been reviewed in past Horrorthon's here and here but this movie was a big part of my introduction to horror in my youth. If anyone around my age who saw this when they were a kid says they were not terrified by the Zuni fetish, they're lying. So the first 2 segments aren't all that great. That's really the beauty of it. You watch 2 lame stories and then wham! You're totally thrown off guard by the third. All three segments star Karen Black.

Julie: The story of a high school teacher who is blackmailed and lured into becoming the sex slave for one of her students. But are things really what them seem to be?

Millicent & Therese: The story of two sisters that are dead opposite. Millicent, the asexual wallflower always trying to do the right thing. Therese, the promiscuous wild child who is dangerous and out of control. Millicent feels that Therese is pure evil and now that her father has died she's gone totally mad. She wants to find a way to stop Therese before she does serious harm. But again, are things really how they seem?

Amelia: She buys a Zuni fetsh for her boyfriend. The thing comes with a scroll saying that if the gold chain around it's waist is removed doll & soul will become one and the doll will come alive. Of course the chain falls off and this psychotic, ugly little doll chases her around the apartment with a knife.


Maybe I'm just an old school horror addict but damn, this murderous, creepy little wooden doll still gives me the willies. The ending of the third segment is the best. This classic still stands the test of time for me.

10 comments:

AC said...

hah, this one is in my queue! i've never seen it before....

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Catfreeek you've gotta read 50 Page's review of this:

http://horrorthon.blogspot.com/2006/10/trilogy-of-terror_10.html

I've been wanting to get this for 2 years but it's not available on Netflix!

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Oh, and you also MUST read Octopunk's original review first:

http://horrorthon.blogspot.com/2006/10/trilogy-of-terror.html

Catfreeek said...

I read 'em JSP, great reviews I actually linked to both of them in my review.

DKC said...

The ongoing comments about the Zuni doll cracked me up for weeks! And still do - those two reviews should go in the Thon "Best Of" file.

I'm with you freeek, I hated that thing!

Octopunk said...

"If anyone around my age who saw this when they were a kid says they were not terrified by the Zuni fetish, they're lying."

Hear fucking hear! The Zuni doll is the number one movie-based big scare of my childhood. For weeks afterwards I was convinced the little bastard was going to climb over the edge of my bed.

Catfreeek said...

That damn doll gave me nightmares that my Barbies were coming to life and trying to kill me.

50PageMcGee said...

i think if you were ever worried about your barbies attacking you, you should just get the mansion -- they'd be like "kill catfreeeeek, killll catfr---oh shit! mansion! i call first dibs on the jacuzzi!" "uh-uh, bitch! i'm closer!"

Catfreeek said...

hahaha, 50page, you crack me up

Anonymous said...

jordan 12
golden goose sneakers
fear of god outlet
off white shoes
supreme clothing
golden goose outlet
palm angels clothing
supreme
adidas yeezy
bape shoes

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...