Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Red Riding: 1974


2009 **** 1/2

Remember Octo's analysis of movies that try to capture the look/feel of an earlier time period--he used Boogie Nights as his example of one that looked a bit too pretty for the 70s. Well, I was thinking about that review while watching this completely kickass crime thriller set in Northern England in 1974. Now, I wasn't in Yorkshire in 1974, but damn I'm convinced that this is what it looked and smelled and felt like. And thank god I'm just guessing, as it looks a right proper shite-hole, to borrow a phrase.

This is the first in a trilogy of flicks based loosely on an apparently famous serial killing case called the Yorkshire Ripper--or rather, based on a series of novels inspired by that case. This isn't a horror movie by any stretch, but it's a brutal thriller sort of in the tradition of Silence of the Lambs (though better than that overrated Anthony Hopkins scene munchfest, IMO).


A burned out Gypsy encampment with floating ash.

For one thing, this is just a damn beautiful movie. But that's weird to say, since what it does is beautifully capture a fucking ugly piece of the earth. Yorkshire in the 70s was apparently a dirty barren minor urban backwater, with all the architectural panache of Soviet cement block houses. It's just drab and depressing thinking of people living in these places. And the acting is fantastic across the board--the lead is that guy from the excellent Ishigruo adaptation from last year, "Never Let Me Go." These two roles have made him one of my favorite young actors to watch--he's got an interesting vulnerability for a leading man type. Sean Bean shows up as the local goon in charge, and a host of other top notch British actors who you'll sort of recognize are here too.

Definitely one to check out.

5 comments:

Octopunk said...

Cool, Landshark! This looks interesting.

I must point out that you totally blew my mind posting a movie with the year 1974 as part of its title, and then forgetting to put the year it was made in your review.

Because the new Spider-Man is in it! I just played meddling kid and stuck the "2009" in there.

Catfreeek said...

I've had this series in my queue since last year. I'm so glad to hear it's as good as it looks. Not sure if I'll get to them for Horrorthon, but I will definitely be watching them before the year's out.

DKC said...

Wow! What a find - sounds very cool. I'm never going to get to all these movies!

Johnny Sweatpants said...

How dare you deem Silence of the Lambs overrated after everything its done for you? Just kidding. I do love me my serial killer stories. I threw it in my queue although I probably won't get to it until November at this point. Nice review!

50PageMcGee said...

sweet! so there's two more? are you watching the others?

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...