Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Insidious


(2011) **

Young couple, Josh and Renai, and their 3 boys move into an enormous, grim old house in the suburbs. In the grand tradition of Poltergeist strange things begin happening as the family makes themselves comfortable (e.g. doors opening and closing on their own, books falling off a shelves, etc). When the oldest son sneaks off to explore the attic, he is involved in an accident and falls into a coma. Fast-forward 3 months where we find that the boy is still in a coma and being cared for at home. At the insistence of Renai the family relocates to a modern house but find that they are still being plagued by the paranormal (didn’t they learn anything from JUON?). Eventually 2 ghost busters are brought in to address this spooky situation.



I was into Insidious for the first half of the film, I really was. The paranormal activity had all been done before but damnit, it still worked! Despite its small budget the film boasts some style and I liked the cheap scares of silence punctuated by loud musical jabs. I stopped liking Insidious the moment the ghost busters showed up, in particular the female, who for some reason just makes me want to smash her face. It didn’t help that she was coincidentally featured in Dead End, the next movie I watched after this one.


One this woman showed up JPX stopped liking Insidious

The tone of Insidious changes once the ghost busters arrive. What was a creepy, clichéd haunted house film quickly devolves into a rip off of the Twilight Zone episode “Little Girl Lost”. The climax occurs in a place called “The Further”, which is really just a big house filled with fog. Nope, this didn’t’ work for me at all.

8 comments:

Catfreeek said...

I can't take her seriously in anything since I saw her in Kingpin & Something About Mary.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Christ give me the strength... I'm still not planning on reviewing this movie (and you can't make me) but I disagree completely. The first 45 minutes bored me but the 2nd half grabbed me by the balls. I honestly thought it was more intense than Paranormal Activity, Paranormal Activity 2 and Paranormal Entity combined. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one (but I'm right).

Crystal Math said...

I agree with JSP about the "turning point" of the film but I felt like her character was integral to furthering the plot of the film from paranormal-something something to a unique story that blends nightmares and magic.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaybe her part could have been written better but it just seems like you have an aversion to ghost busters and people who communicate with an alternate realm of being. You never know -- someday it could be YOUR life they save ;-)

DKC said...

Hahaha, Crystal Math, I love the thought of JPX being saved by ghostbusters! This is becoming quite the movie to review this year.

Octopunk said...

I know! Usually the flick that everybody catches is universally enjoyed, but this one is muy controversial.

Let me get this straight, Johnny... you watched this for Horrorthon and refuse to review it? What's your bag?

JPX said...

I’m not opposed to the use of ghost busters, psychics, etc. in my horror. I just felt that the film went from clichéd/mediocre scares to just plain bad once they added the ghost busters and the father entered the “beyond” (*ahem* fog machine house) to save his son (rather easily I might add). I stand by my two stars.

Damnit, I just want to write “ghostbusters”!

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Well I watched it with Crystal and she reviewed it so it's not like the time was squandered. I just don't have much else to say about it other than it's good for its genre but it's not my thang.

50PageMcGee said...

...and you're not going to review it because you don't think you have enough to say about it? have you been reading AC's reviews? have at it, boy!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...