Monday, October 06, 2008

Red Dragon

(2002) ***1/2?

Red Dragon is the second movie based on the Thomas Harris book. The plot is (not surprisingly) essentially the same as I describe below in my review of Manhunter (1986). We get to see a little more backstory on Lecter and Graham, but the bulk of the film focuses on Graham’s pursuit of the Tooth Fairy serial killer, and his efforts to gain help from the imprisoned Lecter. Once again this pursuit is going to cost Graham dearly.

I’m not 100% sure how I feel about this movie, thus the question mark above. Perhaps watching it right after Hannibal was a bad idea; a little distance may have allowed the film more impact. The cast was amazing from top to bottom though it was to be a bit jarring to have some, but not all, familiar faces in the SOTL roles. Anthony Hopkins as Lecter was fine (though since he hasn't aged backwards was too old for this part), but the other male leads (Edward Norton and Ralph Fiennes) really nailed their roles. Fiennes in particular made the serial killer Dolarhyde come alive, and his performance more closely reflected the character from the book than did the counterpart in Manhunter. I must report that we get full rear nude of Ralph Fiennes, and a flash of frontal, but the whole context is so disturbing I hesitate to add stars for that purpose alone. I did experience some thrills and chills, and loved the acting all around, but am not sure whether the movie works as a whole. I may actually have to see Red Dragon again to figure out what I really think of it (don't worry, I won't expect credit for watching the movie more than once).

4 comments:

Octopunk said...

You can get credit for watching it more than once, you just have to write about the experience. Or see the version with the Goth Industrial soundtrack, like 50Page did with Nosferatu.

AC said...

genius octo!

for my second viewing, i'll try to find the goth industrial version, the director's edition dvd, or the version where they digitally "clean up" the images so that lecter, barney, and dr. chilton all look 20 years younger.

JPX said...

You can totally get credit for watching the same movie twice!

Perhaps next Horrorthon we should all watch the same movie over and over again?

Reading your review I realized that I have seen this film and recall digging it.

Whirlygirl said...

Interesting to know that we can watch the same movie repeatedly. Maybe I'll watch it in the morning, then again at night, maybe while I'm drunk, or half asleep. It might be interesting to see if my rating changes.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...