Saturday, October 04, 2008

Shutter


(2004) ****
Tun and his girlfriend Jane are driving home after a night of drinking with Tun’s friends. Jane, the driver, suddenly hits a girl that appears in the road causing the car to spin out and collide into a billboard. Jane looks back at the girl’s motionless body wanting to see if she is all right; however, Tun’ s insistence that they flee the scene soon prompts Jane to jet quickly away.

Shortly after, Tun, who works as a photographer, begins noticing haunting images appearing in several of his photographs. Upon showing them to Jane, her response is, “is she dead?” Her bluntness is so refreshing in comparison to most American movies that would never immediately draw on that conclusion. JPX informed me that this is typical of Japanese horror because of the cultures beliefs in the supernatural.

I’m not going to reveal anymore of the plot because I liked watching this movie unfold in front of me and I don’t want to spoil it for anyone who hasn’t yet seen it. I will tell you that things start getting really creepy from this point. There are some really good scares in this film. The plot is strong and draws the viewer in, while it continues to piece everything together perfectly.

5 comments:

miko564 said...

I will repeat myself here.

Especially after reading Whirly's review of the American version, it sounds like it time for me to break into some of the J-horror.

JPX said...

Totally, Miko! This one had many good scares - Whirlygirl can verify seeing my goose bumbs. I agree with the 4 star rating and hope to get some reviews up soon.

Catfreeek said...

Nice review Whirly, I thought this one was a good scare too.

DKC said...

When will people learn that if you hit someone with your car, driving off is sure to end in horror and death?

Octopunk said...

"When will people learn that if you hit someone with your car, driving off is sure to end in horror and death?"

Haaa ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...