Thursday, October 09, 2008

The Wicker Man

(1973) *****

Sort of wasn't sure if I could buck the established score of this movie, but also wasn't sure I didn't agree with said score. Get back to that in a minute.

The Wicker Man is the story of Sergeant Neil Howie and his travel to a remote Scottish isle to investigate the disappearance of a young girl. Immediately the townspeople deny knowing the girl in the picture he shows about. It also becomes clear that the townspeople of Summerisle are, unique and let's say "overtly sexual" in nature. Our Sergeant is a hard-nosed and deeply Christian man. He becomes increasingly uncomfortable with the "religion" that the people of Summerisle are engaged in. Also he is getting several different answers to the question of the missing girl. First no one claims to know her - then that changes. Is she dead? Isn't she dead? He searches madly for her as May Day approaches.

I'm not going to say anymore about the way the story unfolds as I think it best, again for the couple of people who may not have seen this movie. (I knew the end, and although it didn't ruin it in any way, I think it would have had even more impact if I was unaware.) It's really the tone of the whole film that set it apart as a horror "masterpiece" for me. What is up with these creepy people? The more the Sergeant digs the odder things become which leaves the audience with that feeling of unease. That feeling escalates until the final powerful moment.

This movie also got me thinking about religion quite a bit. Frankly, I have always sort of been in awe of people whose faith runs as deep as in our Sergeant Howie. Not the crazy religious right who ignore pedophiles among their ranks, etc. But people who simply and without question, believe. Octo's and my parents did not really believe in organized religion - they felt they could teach us the lessons without the hassle of church. Any interest I had in religion pretty much fell by the wayside after losing our Mom. But I still come down on the agnostic side for the single hope of someday being reunited with her. And I admit to being a little envious of those that have that faith which I do not.

So for all the tension and just good, plain weird, fun - as well as for the way it made me think - I came to the conclusion that The Wicker Man is indeed a 5 star movie. (Plus there's LOTS of boobies!)

12 comments:

AC said...

great review dcd. a creepy classic for sure, haven't seen it for years. are you going to watch the remake?

JPX said...

I just want to point out that JSP has an original Wicker Man poster as pictured in DCD's review! Nice review for a terrific film!

JPX said...

Avoid the remake, it's awful and there's no boobs.

miko564 said...

You gotta respect a chick that posts a picture of a naked women in her review...well done D.

I haven't seen this one either, I don't have time to watch anything. I just got back from a business trip and I have too Goddamn many reviews to read!!

Johnny Sweatpants said...

*chant* D-C-D! D-C-D! Gimme a D! DEEEE!!! etc.

Excellent breasts, excuse me - review.

Miko - find the time for this one!

I also have a tattoo of the Wicker Man on my arm because I was obsessed with this movie for a while but unfortunately it's decidedly lackluster and could use a little oomph. (i.e. - flames)

Landshark said...

Well hell! I've been meaning to see this for years--I never knew there were breastesses.

Awesome review, and awesome choice of pic.

50PageMcGee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
50PageMcGee said...

did you see the remake? lame.

you should watch it anyway and make fun of it.

octo reviewed it and the phrase "big dumb eyes" is still one of my favorite things written about anyone ever.

miko -- this one's got more than just tits in it. it's got the other thing too.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

"Big dumb eyes" was my phrase, jerk! Apologize!

50PageMcGee said...

alright, alright. yknow, i actually stopped to think for a bit, "was it jpx or johnny sweatpants that came up with the 'big dumb eyes' crack?"

so i looked it up -- you may do so yourself. the first review of the new WM is from octo and it bears the phrase "big dumb eyes."

i thought, "huh, it was octo all along."

i think he's the one that needs to apologize to you for stealing your shit. you don't make led zeppelin fans apologize to robert johnson for stealing his shit. you grab led zeppelin by the scruff and say, "give credit where credit is due, you freaking ingrates."

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Dude! Now you owe me 2 apologies - one for lying!

Mine from 9/1/06

http://horrorthon.blogspot.com/2006/09/wicker-man_02.html

Octo's from 9/20/06

I was very proud of myself for that line...

http://horrorthon.blogspot.com/2006/09/wicker-man.html

Octopunk said...

Well, reading those reviews by two such accomplished writers, I'm left with the following impression:

JSP referred to her "big stupid eyes" first, I followed with "big dumb eyes" and also the nickname "old Doe Eyes."

You can slice it how you like but my props are to JSP for showcasing that detail first. Or maybe to that chick for having such big stupid doe eyes in the first place.

Anyway, great review of the original, DCD! So glad you liked it.

Interesting point on religion, too. My feeling is you can choose to have faith in anything you want. If you want to believe that you meet loved ones after you die, go ahead! And forget the rest of the claptrap.

It's the fact that there are people who think they know better than me about what happens after death is the main reason I consider myself an atheist. A bunch of us 'thonners are atheists, yet annually engage ourselves in movies about the supernatural. Because yes, it would be nice if the world were better than advertised.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...