Sunday, October 04, 2009

Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter


(2001) **

What can one say about an extremely low budget Canadian kung-fu comedy horror musical? Jesus returns… to fight vampires who are targeting lesbians, of course! He receives assistance from a motley collection of mostly ill-fated and oddly attired clergy; he changes his look to fit into the supposedly urban environment (cuts hair, gets pierced); he has adventures fighting an endless hoard of atheists and the aforementioned vampires; he bursts into song a couple of times; he preaches.

At least the movie knew it was silly, and gets points for that; and it was certainly entertaining, but mostly in a so-bad-it’s good way. I don’t think the actors were professionals, at least I hope they weren’t. There’s lots of fake looking blood and organs and fake looking vampire teeth… I don’t think we are supposed to be scared, maybe a little grossed out. The only shock came at the end of the film, when it indicated it was filmed in 2001. Mr. AC and I had been trying to decide when it was filmed, based on the vibe (70s) and the clothing, shoes, and hairstyles (80s). This millennium didn’t even cross our minds as a possibility- oh, the horror!

I can’t recommend this one for those seeking thrill, chills, or quality, but if you want to lighten the roster and have a few laughs some night this October, you could do worse.

4 comments:

DKC said...

The name alone makes me want to see it!!

Whirlygirl said...

I was sold at Jesus cutting his hair and getting pierced.

Catfreeek said...

My favorite in this flick was the heavy metal priest with the mohawk.

Octopunk said...

I don't know, this movie didn't deliver for me like you'd think. And being Jesus's sidekick really doesn't pay off, they keep getting killed and replaced.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...