Wednesday, October 06, 2010

I, Monster

(1971) ***

This rendition of "Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde" stars two of my favorites. Christopher Lee as the tragic Dr. Charles Marlowe and his ominous alter Mr. Blake. Peter Cushing plays the Dr.'s stoic colleague Frederick Utterson. I'll skip the synopsis since I am quite sure there isn't a body on this blog who isn't unfamiliar with Jekyll & Hyde. Lee does a wonderful job in both roles. His soft and pleading eyes tell the Dr.'s lament so beautifully without words. As Blake he is hideous and unrefined. One of the things I loved about this picture was how Blake kept menacing innocent little kids. Maybe I'm just a little bit soured toward kids right now because I work in a private school filled with spoiled little rich girls. Could be that Tony & I are enjoying our highly underrated empty nest a little too much. Either way, I admit that I got some twisted enjoyment from watching those little kids cower and run away screaming. Truth be told, Mr. Blake wasn't all that bad. He did more running around scaring people then any actual harm.


Peter Cushing's role was rather dry. There is one scene where he is waiting at the house for Dr. Marlowe. They keep flashing from Marlowe as Blake out running through the town to Cushing sitting by the fireplace waiting. After the 3rd or 4th time I thought, is this dude just going to sit there staring at the fire all night! This is the one and only man who knows about Marlowe's alter. You'd think a big red flag would have gone up at some point. Hmmmm... I wonder if my friend is out terrorizing the town. It's really Lee's performance that gives this picture merit. Otherwise the physical difference between Marlowe and Blake isn't much more than a little nose putty and some bad teeth. One more observation, I think the top hat and short cape look really works for men. They should totally bring it back.

4 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Fortunately you're not in charge of fashion Catfreeek. Top hats? Have you lost your mind?

But I completely agree with your assessment of this movie and it's always fun to see Lee & Cushing together.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

There's a band called I Monster named after this movie. Their first album was awesome but the second one sucked.

AC said...

seems this movie should have been better, somehow: sturdy concept, great actors. oh well!

Octopunk said...

Ha! Your comments about Utterson crack me up. Allow me to share a blog post I did on my I Love Monsters blog back before anybody at all ever looked at it. It's actually about Utterson.

(Post titled "This explains all the opium")

I started reading the original Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde today, which I've never read before. Get a load of this description of Jekyll's good friend and lawyer: "Where Utterson was liked, he was liked well. Hosts loved to detain the dry lawyer, when the light-hearted and loose-tongued had already their foot on the threshold; they liked to sit awhile in his unobtrusive company, practising for solitude, sobering their minds in the man's rich silence after the expense and strain of gaiety."

Jeepers crow, the Victorians were so BORING! Listening to Mr. Stevenson here, they even touted it as a virtue. "Well honey, I invited a bunch of fun, interesting people to the party." "But darling! Surely you invited somebody boring to hang out with us afterward!" Man.

Who has to practice being alone?

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...