Friday, October 08, 2010

Oldboy

(2003) ****

What would you do if you tied one on and woke up locked in a strange place? Scream? Cry? Pound your fists? Now imagine being locked up in that place for 15 years and never knowing who is keeping you or why. The only thing you know is that your spouse has been murdered and you've been set up to take the fall for it. Then suddenly one day you're released. Would you just let it go and live your life? No way! You'd spend every ounce of energy trying to figure out who took your life away from you and make that mother fucker pay! That's exactly what happens to Oh Dae-Su. While he is locked up he spends the bulk of his time trying to break out and getting buff. Once he is released he is an unstoppable machine inflicting damage on anyone who tries to get in his way. He meets a sympathetic sushi chef named Mi-do. She takes him in and agrees to help him find some answers. The truth unravels in a twisted tale from his past that is guaranteed to shock and disgust.


Am I chomping on a live octopus? Why yes I certainly am.

Yes, I said shock and disgust. Unfortunately I was watching this with my stepson so the shock and disgust was accompanied by uncomfortable and embarrassed. Still, this movie kicks ass. Be prepared to cringe on more than one occasion. JPX, the violence is superb. The plot is intelligent and complex. What a wonderful surprise to find this gem. Getting in my Asian fix for the season, so glad it started off with a good one.

12 comments:

DKC said...

That octopus is grossing me out. Between that and The Human Centipede, I'll think I'll skip dinner.

50PageMcGee said...

i've eaten live octopus. does that mean i can kick ass like oldboy?

Tami said...

What does live octopus taste like? Even if you're the one who actually got me to eat sushi for the first time 50, No matter what you tell me, I ain't eating any life octopus!

50PageMcGee said...

it tastes like regular octopus, only squirmier. want to see?

JPX said...

You've sold me, Catfreeek! I recall JSP enjoying this as well. Great review.

Landshark said...

Nice, this is a fun one, I remember from a few years ago.

I also have eaten live octopus. Felt like I was hazing myself. Such a horrible decision.

Catfreeek said...

50P that was intense!

DKC said...

Landshark, you crack me up.

Tami said...

oh my god! Squimier and suctionier. It was suctioning to your tongue in that video, wasn't it?

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I LOVED this movie.

Whirlygirl said...

That octopus pic is grossing me out, but the movie sounds awesome. I'm sold!

Octopunk said...

Oh man! Somebody recommended this to me a while ago and it's been in my queue for like two years. I am very intrigued.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...