Tuesday, October 05, 2010

I Sell The Dead

(2008) ****

I know I'm probably being generous with four stars but I thoroughly enjoyed this film. It's funny, surprisingly original, well acted and an all around good time. Arthur and Willie are grave robbers. They've been arrested and sentenced to death. Willie is beheaded in the first scene. Arthur is visited in prison by a priest who wills him to tell his story. What a story it is! Their profession was not only dealing with ordinary corpses, but aliens, vampires and zombies too. These extraordinary corpses yield more money so they become prime pickin's. Trouble abounds when Arthur and Willie encounter a rival grave robber and his team of misfits.




This really was a fun film, Tony and I were very pleased with it's originality. We were also happy to see Angus Scrimm (Phantasm) make a welcomed appearance as the evil Dr. Vernon Quint. It does get a bit campy near the end but not in a cheesy way. The cast seems so comfortable in their roles I just kept thinking this must have been a fun film to make. A nice light break from the heavy hitting horror, amusing and fun.

8 comments:

Whirlygirl said...

Sounds like a fun film. I see that Charlie from Lost is in it.

Catfreeek said...

Yeah, he's just so likable.

50PageMcGee said...

good cast.

here's something that'll make you like dominic monaghan even more -- i found this out from my friend eva who's kind of dating him. apparently he's got a tattoo on his forearm of the words, "luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."

movie? (i guess the particular syntax is a dead giveaway.)

JPX said...

Another good find that I've never heard of - how do you do it, Catfreeek? Nice summary.

Catfreeek said...

Yeah 50 that does kinda give it away, but he is awesome.

JPX, never heard of? I beg to differ~~~>your post

AC said...

sounds like a must-see in my book!

Octopunk said...

Cat: ooh, snap!

Also, good pick. I'd give the cred to JPX but he probably forgot who I am.

I want Charlie to combine his roles and star as a rock star junkie grave-robbing hobbit.

Catfreeek said...

That would be awesome!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...