Monday, October 17, 2011

The Thaw

(2009)**1/2

A researcher in the Canadian antarctic is doing research on global warming. To help him, he has some college interns come up to help him and his crew. However, on their way up, he realizes that a recently un-earthed wooly mammoth is carrying a parasite. A little worm type thing last seen in Star Trek II can bite you and inch its way into any open cut, generally making you feel miserable and making you look like this lady...

Since I recorded this movie off the sci-fi channel, I wasn't expecting much. It was definitely better than expected. The film takes a neutral stance on globabl warming and shows how both sides can lead to harm.


The effects are effectively creepy - those little bugs manage to worm their way into EVERY orifice. Val Kilmer has a small role. While he does very well in this part as the global warming scientist gone mad, its mostly just sad to see him deteriorate from "Iceman".



4 comments:

DKC said...

Yuck! I hate those shows on Animal Planet about parasites, ergo, I probably wouldn't be too psyched about this movie. Good review, though - is Val Kilmer all puffy?

Octopunk said...

Puffy with parasites!

Eesh. Yeah, parasites are horrible. I think I'm more scared of the real ones.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Go figure - I thought Val Kilmer OD'd on coke in the late 90's. It is kinda sad. He did a great job as Jim Morrison and I also loved him as Elvis in True Romance. Batman and Robin was the beginning of the end.

JPX said...

Nice find, I've never heard of this. I suddenly want to see Star Trek 2 again (even though part 6 is the best). Sadly Val Kilmer is really fat today.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...