Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Thing

(2011)***


Plot: Everything that happened before the start of the movie, The Thing (1982). Norwegian scientists in the antarctic, they unearth an alien, frozen in time, it comes back to life and starts infecting and imitating the scientists.


So, of course, this wasn't as good as the original, but if you're a fan of the original, then this one is worth your time. If you haven't seen the original, then don't start with this one.


The first half of this film is spent doing the typical, "Where's the alien?" "What's the alien doing" type of exposition so that all the characters and audience an understand what's happening. I believe that the lack of this exploration is what made the original so strong. Here, the film is more of a learning process.


This film had a weak box office its first weekend, and i can understand why. Again, if you haven't seen the original or know that it's a prequel, then this film just plods along. Its appeal is knowing what awaits in the next film. The ending that is interspersed with the credits leads directly into the opening scene of John Carpenter's original. From the screening I was at, it was very clear that no one knew what that meant and indeed, if you don't remember that opening scene, this one just seems anti-climactic. But hey, the flame-thrower is back!

4 comments:

JPX said...

Hmmm, if I read between the lines my sense is that you are giving this a collective "meh". Given that 2 of you have now expressed a lackluster opinion about it I think I might hold off until Horrorthon 2012 to check it out. I'm disappointed that this isn't very good.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I'm embarrassed to say it but I don't think I've ever seen the original so I'll take your advice and hold off on this, maybe do a double header down the road.

DKC said...

I really didn't think there was any way they were going to come close to the first movie. I'll wait on this as well.

Octopunk said...

I hate to fall back on the stock grouchy opinion but it doesn't seem like this movie needed to be made.

Good analysis, Trevor.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...