Saturday, October 08, 2011

Killer Klowns from Outer Space

(1988) **1/2



Frankly I wasn’t looking forward to it but I knew I couldn’t take on evil clowns without having a looksie at this ahem, “cult classic”. Within 10 minutes I just wanted to slap this movie. I’m not opposed to campy drive-in movie throwbacks like Night of the Creeps but I resent the ones that strive to be terrible and then congratulate themselves when they achieve that goal. I took particular offense to the way that protagonist Mike delivered his lines with that knowing grin on his face. Just shut up Mike.

That’s not to say KKFOS is a complete abomination. If you submit to the stupidity (as I eventually did) then there are rewards to be reaped. The clowns’ big freaky alien heads while not scary, are certainly a sight to behold. The disarming goofiness that comes with being a clown enabled them to get the jump on their victims before they realized they were in danger. I can’t say I’ve ever seen death by shadow puppet before.

Better yet was the Pee Wee's Playhouse meets The Death Star design of the alien spaceship that the annoying jerks stumbled into early in the film. I wanted to explore every inch of this science fiction/carnival playground.
Today's magic word(s): "fully operational battle station"
I was sad when they escaped because I knew it would be followed by that inevitable scene where they try to convince the skeptical cops that alien clowns are terrorizing the town. Sigh. 


Like Snakes on a Plane or Hobo With a Shotgun, the title alone summarizes the movie better than any synopsis could. I consider that to be a refreshing alternative to ambiguous titles like House, The Cave, Scream, The Reef, Insidious, Monster, Kitchen Sponge etc. (Ok I made that last one up.) That doesn't make it a good movie by any stretch of the imagination. I'm purposefully omitting a lot of cheesy sequences and plot holes but maybe I'm missing the point. Perhaps Killer Klowns just wasn't meant for solitary weekday viewing. It's probably better suited to be aired in front of a rowdy group of drunkards and hooligans. Count me out though.

6 comments:

Catfreeek said...

This would be better with a crowd, I would want to watch it with the cast from MST3k.

Crystal Math said...

You've brought back such delightful memories of watching this in my childhood! Imma have to view this one again, for I adore campiness.

JPX said...

"I’m not opposed to campy drive-in movie throwbacks like Night of the Creeps but I resent the ones that strive to be terrible and then congratulate themselves when they achieve that goal."

Well put! I put Return of the Killer Tomatoes in this category. I vowed never to sit through an obviously horrible horror movie ever again. I popped on in the other night and popped it back out after about 45 seconds because I could tell that it was awful.

I've heard of Killer Klowns for many years but I've never mustered up the strength to check it out. Based on your summary I know that I've made the right decision. I love that you are covering demented clowns this year. I'm certain this is probably the most well known of the genre.

Octopunk said...

I liked this a lot better than you did, but I like your take on it. And I love "Today's magic word(s): 'fully operational battle station'"

For me, it never stops being amusing that people look at the alien Klowns and say "oh look, clowns," despite that fact that, removed of greasepaint, their heads would not look human at all but horrifically distorted. It really should be obvious but many people die while not getting it.

DKC said...

I think Kitchen Sponge sounds promising!

50PageMcGee said...

Kitchen Sponge: A Microbial Thriller in Three Parts. I'd review it. I'd pan it for being not scary enough.

great review, and i mostly agree with the sentiment about bad movies that are proud of being bad. i think after seeing Night of the Creeps it's clearer to me that there's a difference between being campy and being outright dumb. the campy people deserve to be proud. outright dumb, not so much.

there's a way to do dumb and have it be awesome, but i'm having trouble thinking of a fair example right now.

it's definitely not Kung Pow: Enter the Fist.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...