Thursday, November 03, 2011

We All Scream For Ice Cream

(2007) *1/2

"Buster the Clown" is the least intimidating evil clown name yet.

Directed by Tom "Child's Play" Holland, the plot in this feeble entry in the Masters of Horrors series is suspiciously similar to Drive-Thru. They were both released in 2007 and I don't know don't care which came first. They suck equally for slightly different reasons. Both feature a clown returning from the grave to punish the pranksters who caused his death.

William Forsythe plays "Buster the Clown", an amiable ice cream truck guy who used to delight the neighborhood with his magic tricks and delicious frozen treats. A young hooligan named Virgil coerces a couple of friends to humiliate the gentle clown and they accidentally(?) kill him in the process. Years later Buster comes back and lures the next generation to his ghost truck. When the children take bites of the savory desserts, their parents melt into puddles of ice cream. As JPX pointed out three years ago, this is a totally lame way to dispose of your enemies. 

My evil clown fetish of 2011 is winding down and after sifting through We All Scream For Ice Cream and other duds such as the ghastly Mr. Jingles I'm ready to move on with my life. Luckily there was juuuust enough solid clown movies and a few so-bad-it's-good selections to balance out the drivel. (Highly enthusiastic 100 Tears review to come!) 

4 comments:

Octopunk said...

"Also, and let's really be honest here, this is just a lame way to get your revenge on someone, even for a ghost (I suppose you could argue that this is how a retarded ghost would get his revenge)."

BwaaAAAAHahahaaa!!! Oh, damn. (That's from JPX's review.)

Johnny Sweatpants, your commitment to evil clown lore is saluted by myself and, I believe, everyone present. A hearty table thumping from over here!

JPX said...

Oh wow, I had forgotten all about this awful MOH episode. I still believe that this was the worst installment in the series.

I'll be interested in reading a summary of your clown movie experience. It seems like it was a mixed bad (a badly mixed bag).

Now I want some ice cream.

Catfreeek said...

I too salute you for trudging forward through all that hair and makeup. If I run into a clown I will squeak his nose in your honor.

Crystal Math said...

JSP I'm happy to hear that you're embracing your clown fetish! :-P

Working in a school with a "no tolerance" policy on bullying and reading all these synopses of people going on a killing spree after being publicly ridiculed by peers makes me think not only about the long-term effects of bullying, but also why so many of its victims would want to choose a medium notorious for producing such terrible movies.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...